Tuesday, May 3, 2011

#11 : Lima Beans/Butter Beans Burger


I got the inspiration for this burger from cook.com . They had a recipe for a refried bean burger and I made something similar using lima beans, only it has more of an Indian flavor to it. I had almost forgotten that my mother used to make lima beans curry all the time when I was younger for Roti/Chappathi . And now I am making burgers out of them. Talk about food revolution :) .
The Lima beans/butter beans needs to be washed and soaked in water for about 2 to 3 hrs before cooking the same.
I like to pressure cooker the beans for about just 3 whistles in the pressure cooker so that it does not turn out too mashed up. It will anyway have to be cooked again in the pan with other ingredients.

And this burger is 7 PP for the whole thing on weight watchers!!

Ingredients for the Lima beans Curry:
2 cups Cooked Lima Beans mashed partly
½ cup onion sliced lengthwise
1 1/2 cups sliced tomatoes
1 small green chilli or jalapeno pepper
¾ tsp Garam Masala
½ cup finely chopped cilantro
½ tsp ginger garlic paste
Salt to taste
2 tsp oil

Ingredients for the Burger:
1 whole grain sandwich Rounds
2 -3 cucumber slices
1-2 orange bell pepper slices
1 slice of Kraft single American cheese
1tsp tomato sauce

Making the Lima Beans/Butter beans Curry:
• Heat oil in a pan, add the onions ginger garlic paste and green chilli/jalapenos. Saute till the onions are translucent.
• Add the tomatoes, cilantro and salt and cook the tomatoes on medium flame.
• When the tomatoes are cooked, add the partly mashed lima beans and Garam Masala. Mix well and cook for 3 to 4 minutes and keep aside
Making the Burger:
• Dry toast the rounds with one slice of the round having the kraft single American cheese slice on it in a oven or a pan. Let the cheese melt on to the bread slightly.
• Arrange the cucumbers on top of the slice with cheese and add 2 table spoons of Lima beans curry.
• Place the bell pepper slice on the curry.
• Spread the tomato sauce on the other slice of the round and close the burger to completion!

My first contribution ever for an event!!!!

This recipe is my contribution to Aipi and Priya's Bookmarked recipe event Vol 39 .



Also Sending this to Fast Food Event (May 1- June 15) hosted by Priya Sreeram and Priya Mahadevan

13 comments:

  1. Hi Rathi, Thanks dear for leaving a comment on my blog and thanks for linking this delicious recipe on our bookmarked event.

    Hey, have you heard about MAITRI event on my blog, please check it out, if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rathi, can you please email me @ priya.mitharwal@gmail.com as I need your email id to match you in MAITRI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Rathi.. thank u so much for visiting me.. U know even I'm in a process of losing weight and have almost lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks.. :D but after that I'm unable to lose any more.. u've really gr8 recipes.. will try to incorporate them in my daily routine.. thnx for sharing!!

    And u r most welcome to participate in the on-going event in my blog.. looking forward to some gr8 recipes from u.. love to follow u!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ur blog name inspires me a lot,great recipe glad to follow u dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rathi, first time on your blog dear - this is a very healthy and delightful recipe - This is a good one for my fast food event dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is something I want to try- protein packed n wholesome! Thanks a lot for linking to bookmarked event :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Pleasure knowing your blog. Healthy recipes.

    Vardhini
    VardhinisKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very yummy fusion cusine!!!! I read your posts on losing weight and i will be trying them out as i am also planning to lose a few pounds.......Following you for updates!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely entry- am glad you shared it for the event !

    ReplyDelete
  10. interesting recipes.. should back with more time in hands..

    New to your space n happy to follow you..

    Do visit me as time permits.
    http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all so much for the encouragement!Makes me want to cook more !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting site. Thank you, you describe the topic very well.
    dapoxetine

    ReplyDelete