Monday, May 2, 2011

#10 - I am Losing weight eating Boiled Peanut salad(Peanut a.k.a "Kadalai" Sundal) !


Yes, you heard it right the first time. I am losing weight and I am eating a serving of boiled peanut salad at least once a week for a snack. There is a myth that eating peanuts or any nuts for that matter will lead to increased weight and like I said that is just a myth. In my opinion eating too much of anything will cause an increase in weight and will not do so much good on the body, not just peanuts. These legumes are a bunch packed with some good nutrients, essential Vitamin E and contain about 25 % protein, more than most of the nuts themselves. They are also a good source of fiber. You know it doesn't get better when I say that I found these peanuts also contain what is called mono saturated fat that is good for the heart. Besides they do me a lot good by keeping me full when I take a serving of this salad in the evening for snack. I am so full that my dinner portions are almost halved. Plus who wouldn't love some spicy peanut "sundal" (as we call in south India) by the beach side or on a rainy day on your porch? So, what are you waiting for ? go ahead and try some!! It is about 5pp on weight watchers but like I already mentioned, a really worthwhile snack to invest the points in!!


Things Needed:
1 cup of peanuts, washed well
2/3 cup of sliced carrots
1/2 medium onion chopped finely
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp mustard
1 tsp Lemon juice
1 tsp salt
Oil to drizzle
Water

Cooking Method:
-> Wash and drain the peanuts into a pressure cooker.
-> Add water till the peanuts are immersed in it, add the salt and let it cook
for about 6 whistles on medium flame and then switch off.
-> When the pressure cooker cools, open and drain the cooked peanuts and keep
them aside.
-> In a pan drizzle some oil and let it heat.
-> When the oil is heated, add the mustard and let it crackle.
-> Add the onions and carrot and fry till they are cooked well.
-> Add the chilli powder and the cooked peanuts and mix then well and keep
aside and mix in the lemon juice for a tangy finish.










6 comments:

  1. what a perfect looking snack- nicely done!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sundallai vaithu kalakiteenga... superb way to lose weight though:) good luck..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice information dear...
    Healthy delicious sundal :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Thanks for ur kind words. I use "Nikon D50"... I brought it in 2007, so the model which I use has become old. U have more professional ones with more features now in the market :) Hope this helps.. will update U when I change mine to a newer one...
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Aipi and @Aruna : Thank you so much for the support!! @ Reva :- Thanks for the tip, your pictures are such an inspiration to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog and introducing me to your blog. Healthy sundal.

    Vardhini
    VardhinisKitchen

    ReplyDelete